One should pack wisely taking into account what one needs most (documents/ clothes/ books etc.) considering the limitations, which most airlines have on the baggage one can take along.
Most campus wear is informal. Take into account the climate of the area of the university you will be residing in. Also take some traditional Indian dresses. It is advisable to put one's name & luggage tag both inside & outside one's bags.
You would need to keep certain documents on-hand with you e.g. Passport, Visa, Form I-20, Air Ticket, University documents for ready inspection. One may also need to carry to the United States one's transcripts and certificates.
Airline Baggage Allowance
Economy Passengers are generally allowed two pieces of "check-in" baggage for flights to the U.S. "Check-in Baggage" is stored in the baggage compartment of the airplane. One cannot access the same during the flight.
Each piece is subject to certain limitations of size (length, width and height) and possibly even weight. Please check for these limitations with your airline. One may also carry one piece of "Hand Baggage" on the airplane besides one's coat or purse etc.
It can be stored under your seat or in a compartment above your seat. It is also subject to certain limitations on dimensions. Airline may also facilitate extra baggage by paying extra for the same.
· One needs to check-in 3 hours before the departure time of the flight
· Please keep your travel documents (passport, ticket, visa etc.) ready on hand
· Locate one's Airline's Check-in counter" and make sure that your "Check-in" baggage is properly locked, else it might not be accepted by the airline
· One also needs to pay an Airport Tax (presently Rs. 300)
· One may request a seat in "Smoking"/ "Non-smoking" areas on the aircraft
· One may also request an "Aisle/ Window" seat with the airline
· A "Boarding Pass" is issued with one's seat number and one's travel documents are returned.
· A Baggage Claim ticket is stapled to the ticket.
After the 'check-in', one needs to go through 'Immigration' and 'Customs'. One may also be asked to identify one's baggage or to answer questions regarding its contents, one's purpose of traveling etc.